Sunday, July 31, 2011

An Editorial Comment

Kenneth M. O’Brien

Having posted 100 articles since this site was started, I feel that it is appropriate at this time to address several issues.

The first is the criticisms that have been leveled at me regarding the use of anonymous posts.

As anyone who uses Google’s blogspot service, as I do, knows, there are several options offered to those making a comment.

One option is to choose “Anonymous”. It is beyond my control to change that.

However, there is another option offered. This is the “Name/URL” option. It would greatly simplify matters if more people used this option. When chosen, you can enter a “screen name” for “Name” and then leave the URL option blank. This would at least allow readers to distinguish among different individuals posting comments.

Second, there are complaints about some who comment making unsubstantiated claims or spreading false rumors. Just as with the food you buy in the supermarket or elsewhere, you need to be an informed consumer. If you don't evaluate the sources from which you get your news and opinions you might as well be living on a diet of Big Macs and Slurpees. Just as that diet will make you fat, so relying on one biased source of information will make you a fathead.

Again, I cannot control this. I have, as of now, basically three policies:
1) No libelous allegations;
2) No obscenities; and
3) No promotion of profit making activities.

As for myself, I follow the standard journalistic practice of reporting something only after I have had it confirmed by at least two sources.

If, on the other hand, I am indulging in opinion or analysis, I clearly label it as such. In such cases I believe that I attempt to marshal facts and logic in support of my position and provide references to substantiate those facts.

Third, there have been complaints that while I say, “All opinions are welcome”, this is not true.

Frankly, I don’t know why this is being said. Please show me someone who has offered an opposing point of view that has not been offered a forum to present it. I would welcome more contributors. All that I ask is that, in submitting an article, you use your real name and email in the event that editing is required (which you can object to). If you wish to publish under a pseudonym that will be respected.

Ask Joe Marino as regards his article. He will tell you that I went to extraordinary lengths to bring his article to you.

But, just because I say that all opinions are welcome, it doesn’t mean that I am precluded from disagreeing. In my opinion conflicting, informed viewpoints are the basis of intelligent debate.

Finally, I have been criticized for allowing comments that have degenerated into name-calling and lowbrow vituperation.

To that I say, I offer you a forum – it is what you make of it.



1 comment:

  1. Just like most people my age I was a young adult when Fleetwood Mac were huge.

    There were three singers in the band, being Lindsey Buckingham (singing lead here), Stevie Nicks, and Christine McVie. I liked them all but was partial to Christine, who not only was hot (like Stevie), but also had such a soulful voice. All three of them wrote great tunes.

    Congrats on your 100th article Ken, and keep up the fine work.

    ReplyDelete

All comments subject to moderation. All commenters must use their own name or a screen name. No comments labelled as "Anonymous" will be published. To use your name or a screen name select "Name/URL" from the drop down menu. Insert you name in the "Name" space and leave the "URL" space blank.