In a little-noticed article in last Wednesday’s Worcester Telegram titled “Southbridge town manager considers full-time cable access chief” Brian Lee reports, “Town Manager Christopher Clark said recently he is considering reverting to a full-time department head for local cable access, which has had a revolving door of leadership in recent months.”
The article goes on to elaborate how, after Clark fired long-time Director Paul Zotos, the department was reorganized to consist of three part-timers earning a total of about $60,000.
The article goes on to state, “After Mr. Zotos, Barry Davis of Dudley served as station manager on an interim basis until last month.
Mr. Davis had said his dismissal was due in part to his questioning indirect costs Mr. Clark charges cable access, which Mr. Clark denied.”
It further reports “The town is in search of a replacement for Brian Alves, who accepted the permanent position of station manager and started May 14, but soon after stopped showing up for the part-time job, according to Mr. Clark.
“Mr. Alves wrote an email explaining he could not continue in the job. He had been collecting unemployment benefits, and apparently thought he could work a number of hours and not impact “his unemployment, the town manager said.
“But when the Worcester resident checked and coordinated with unemployment officials, he was told he could not work the Southbridge job and continue to collect benefits, Mr. Clark said.
“The former station manager told Mr. Clark the part-time job did not pay enough to survive on, Mr. Clark said.
“’He worked a day or two and that was it,’ Mr. Clark said.”
The article goes on to report that Michael Montigny is currently serving as an interim Director.
The article concludes by noting, “Asked if going back to a full-time department head would bring stability, Mr. Clark said, ‘Let’s just say I’m thinking about it.’”