Tuesday, December 11, 2012

High School English Teacher Could, Did, Gets Punished



Eastman
The old bromide is, “Those who can, do. Those who can’t, teach.”

But what can happen when those who teach can and do.

An English teacher at Hoover High School in North Canton, Ohio has admitted to publishing an erotic novel under the pseudonym Deena Bright.

The teacher is Carol Ann Eastman, local ABC affiliate WEWS-TV reports. The book is entitled “Schooled".

According to The CantonRep.com, a Canton area newspaper, Eastman’s students are responsible for outing Eastman as the book’s author.

The plot of the novel follows a teacher who has steamy sexual encounters with fellow teachers, as well as former students, to get revenge on her two-timing husband.

"Schooled” garners a solid four stars at Amazon.com — where it’s available as a digital book for $2.99 — but not everyone is begging for more.

Parents complained to the district when they found out about the subject matter of Eastman’s book, and many local parents feel Eastman shouldn’t teach high school English if she also publishes bawdy fiction.

“That’s inappropriate,” opined Sharon Turkall, for example, according to WEWS-TV. “I don’t think I’d write about that whether it was fiction or truth.”

Other parents from the area don’t see the problem.

“What she does on her own time within reason, I guess, I don’t see anything wrong with that,” said Jim Lehman, of Massillon, according to WEWS.

Eastman, who has been a teacher in North Canton since 2006, was reportedly placed on paid administrative leave for three weeks last month while the school district investigated and pondered its options.

At the conclusion of the investigation, Eastman agreed to a five-day suspension without pay for violating the North Canton City School District computer use policy.

Documents relating to the suspension refer to the computer use violation as “social networking of a personal nature,” says The CantonRep.com. It’s not clear whether Eastman’s computer use had anything to do with her erotic novel.

Eastman returned to the classroom Monday.

As The CantonRep.com notes, the book’s acknowledgement section contains a “special note” in which the author writes:

“Dear My School District: I love my teaching job. I love raising my kids here, being a part of this close-knit and outstanding community. I am proud to be here, honored and humbled to be a part of this district. Please don’t fire me! I’ve never slept with a student, not even remotely close. I love my students: they’re my kids, nothing more. We teach our students to dream big, work hard, and it will all pay off in the end. This was my ‘dream big.’”

What other English teachers should have been suspended for writing smutty novels Sharon Turkall does not like?

  • D.H. Lawrence.
Your breasts, your knees and feet! I feel that we
Are a bonfire of oneness, me flame flung leaping round you,
You the core of the fire, crept into me.

  • James Joyce.
if he wants to kiss my bottom Ill drag open my drawers and bulge it right out in his face as large as life he can stick his tongue 7 miles up my hole as hes there my brown part then Ill tell him I want #1 or perhaps 30/- Ill tell him I want to buy underclothes then if he gives me that well he wont be too bad I dont want to soak it all out of him like other women do I could often have written out a fine cheque for myself and write his name on it for a couple of pounds a few times he forgot to lock it up besides he wont spend it Ill let him do it off on me behind provided he doesnt smear all my good drawers O I suppose that cant be helped Ill do the indifferent I or 2 questions Ill know by the answers when hes like that he cant keep a thing back I know every turn in him Ill tighten my bottom well and let out a few smutty words smellrump or lick my shit or the first mad thing comes into my head then Ill suggest about yes O wait now sonny my turn is coming

  • John Irving.
“Doris Wales was a woman with straw-blond hair whose body appeared to have been dipped in corn oil; then she must have put her dress on, wet. The dress grabbed at all her parts, and plunged and sagged over the gaps in her body; a lover’s line of hickeys, or love bites – ‘love-sucks,’ Franny called them – dotted Doris’s chest and throat like a violent rash; the welts were like wounds from a whip. She wore plum-covered lipstick, some of which was on her teeth, and she said, to Sabrina Jones and me, ‘You want hot-dancin’ music, or slow-neckin’ music? Or both?’
‘Both,’ said Sabrina Jones, without missing a beat, but I felt certain that if the world would stop indulging wars and famines and other perils, it would still be possible for human beings to embarrass each other to death. Our self-destruction might take a little longer that way, but I believe it would be no less complete.”

  • Kurt Vonnegut.
There those girls were with all their private parts bare, for anybody to see. And there in the doorway were Gluck and Derby and Pilgrim-the childish soldier and the poor old high school teacher and the clown in his toga and silver shoes-staring. The girls screamed. They covered themselves with their hands and turned their backs and so on, and made themselves utterly beautiful.

Whatever. What is far more important is that an English teacher has been busted writing novels, just like this other lady did a year ago, to the exact same reaction:
“She is teaching children that are under the age of 18 and definitely the books that she is writing are adult books. I think she needs to make a decision as to what she wants to do. Either be a school teacher or author,” parent Deanna Stepp said.
Wendy Apple said she has a 10th-grade son in Buranich’s class.
“Now my son knows so how is he thinking when he’s sitting in her class knowing what she does on the side,” she said.

No comments:

Post a Comment

All comments subject to moderation. All commenters must use their own name or a screen name. No comments labelled as "Anonymous" will be published. To use your name or a screen name select "Name/URL" from the drop down menu. Insert you name in the "Name" space and leave the "URL" space blank.