Friday, May 22, 2015

Superintendent Releases Restructure Proposal

Ken O’Brien
 

The Southbridge Superintendent of Schools, Sheryl Stanton, today released a report on the planned restructuring of the Southbridge Middle/High School. 

The report runs 88 pages.

It can be found by clicking on this link: Southbridge Middle/High School Restructure Proposal

8 comments:

  1. Didn't we just restructure 3 years ago?

    ReplyDelete
  2. This report doesn't describe the planned restructuring. It's a regurgitation of information we've all seen before. A plan should present clear objectives, a detailed budget and a detailed schedule (and be spell checked). This has none of those things. There's no way of weighing the pros and cons of the proposal.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Rich. I agree wholeheartedly with your assessment. It is clearly a hastily prepared collection of existing materials assembled to rationalize a decision that has already been made. It completely fails to address such obvious issues as the unemployment costs and legal expenses associated with its implementation. There was clearly no coordination between the production of this document and the budgetary process.

      Delete
    2. What really concerns me are the observations presented on page 38 that say there is no evidence of teachers "activating" higher order thinking skills in 77% of the lessons observed. I think the n=26 bit means the evaluators sat in on 26 lessons. For such a large school, I don't know if this is a meaningful statistic but it still concerns me. Since I was on the school committee, we've had 10 years of curriculum developers, coordinators, coaches and who knows what else at great cost but with apparently nothing to show for the investment. We need to get rid of the policy and procedure writers, the evaluators, the power point jockeys and anyone else who thinks they can help turn the district around by staying in their office. We need people who actually want to WORK.

      Delete
  3. For a group that has just been told that what they need more than anything is to demonstrate stability this is a hell of an opening shot.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Mr. Coggins, who was the assistant principal accused of assaulting a middle school student, was cleared by the DCF. Despite that Stanton told him that she didn’t clear him and that he was finished.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. In the courts handsMay 24, 2015 at 10:47 AM

      Maybe that is because the Father of the child has filed assault charges against him and personally I hope he get screwed to the wall for it.

      Delete
    2. Gee...I was told that Ms Stanton told him he had been cleared, but that she was not allowing him back to the middle/high school - instead -giving him an administrative position - you know, at the Cole Ave Repository - he declined, and resigned.....

      Delete

All comments subject to moderation. All commenters must use their own name or a screen name. No comments labelled as "Anonymous" will be published. To use your name or a screen name select "Name/URL" from the drop down menu. Insert you name in the "Name" space and leave the "URL" space blank.