Updated at 8 am, 3/19: Hyde spokesman admits “some work” going to Canada.
Ken O’Brien
Nine days ago The O’Zone published an article titled, “Is Hyde Mfg. Moving Jobs To Canada?”
Yesterday The O’Zone published a follow-up piece titled, “Is Southbridge Being Hyde-Jacked?”
In both articles I was quite straightforward in saying that what I was reporting was based on anecdotal information from current and former employees of the company.
In addition I indicated that, rather than having any animosity toward the firm, it had a warm place in my heart.
However, the company is a foundation of what remains of employment in Southbridge as well as its industrial base.
So, given these factors, I was seeking any kind of denial that what I had been told and was therefore reporting lacked substance.
In what is now bordering on a week and a half there has been no such denial.
Rather, we are now seeing what, in all candor, I am interpreting as a ham-handed attempt to avoid the issue and to launch a public relations offensive designed to further ingratiate the company to an uncritical public.
In a “teaser” for its Monday edition, The Southbridge Evening News is touting an article that appears, to me at least, a clear example of such a strategy. Here is the preview of that article:
Eastford Road gets $5K, aims to 'get books into homes'
by Gus Steeves
March 18, 2012
SOUTHBRIDGE — When was the last time your neighbor gave you $5,000?
For most people, probably never. But Hyde Tools did so Thursday to help promote parent involvement at Eastford Road School.
"We love the opportunity to be part of it, be good neighbors and help the town in any way we can," Hyde Human Resource/Safety Manager Bruce Anger said. One of his grandsons is at Eastford Road School, one is at Charlton Street School and his children graduated Southbridge High, he added.
[Updated at 8 am, March 19, 2012] In the article it is noted:
[Hyde Human Resource/Safety Manager Bruce Anger said], Although Hyde doesn’t get too many job applicants “because we’re downsizing” and sending some work to a “sister company” in Canada….
Now, I welcome any program that assists our schools.
However, I find it somewhat suspect that this program emerged shortly after I started raising these questions.
It also seems somewhat more than coincidental that the vice-chair of the Southbridge town council, who is married to a leading principal of this company, is the chair of the subcommittee on Education and Human Services.
If I did not point this out, I’m sure we would have seen major hoopla at the next town council meeting about this generous gift. We may still see such a “dog and pony” show.
Rather than diverting attention from the questions being raised, however, I am simply asking for the company brass to deny what is being reported here.
If they are unwilling to do so, then their employees had best read the handwriting on the wall.
In addition, questions should be asked of our town administration. Ms. Clemence holds a key position in town government. Did the town manager know of any such plans? Has he asked since I raised these questions?
Did our department of economic development know of any such plans? Has their Director asked?
At this point the evidence seems to point to another major tremor in our town’s economy.
As I pointed out earlier, in 2004, Hyde acquired a Canadian company.
The following video was graciously provided by Brent Abrahamson illustrating the nature of that firm’s activities and the extent to which they mirror those of Hyde.

Morning Ken
ReplyDeleteI disagree with you that the company needs to explain anything to the town. Denise if I recall is only a spokesperson for the caulking gun and has nothing to do with the running or say of the company. She may live with someone that dose but that doesn't give her the right to speak about Hyde, and I bet she has been told this by the higher ups on a few occasions. The employees have been aware of the difficulties that the company has been having for years competing with products coming out of the Asian markets. As we know these companies pay very little to its employees with no benefits. Over and over we hear about Slave and child labor problems that goes on with these companies, just look what happen with Apple. As long as the Walmart's, Home Depots, Lowe's keep buying their products overseas, companies like Hyde will not survive. Yes it would be nice if the company would explain its plans but they don't have to. Don't use the company to go after Ms. Clemence's Politics, go after her because her record and views. Many and I mean many of local people have a very good retirement package because of the good hard work of the company and its employees, we all know times are tough and the company may be just trying to survive and only time will tell.
Hyde will continue to be a good part of Southbridge for as long as it can, as a former employee it was always a pleasure to work for HYDE and the Clemence's they are very good people and have always supported Southbridge and the surrounding areas. Thanks Ken for allowing this.
Very well said.
DeleteRight! Very well said. Screw the current employees. Hide your plans until you are called out. Tell people all the good you did for them in the past. Try to buy us off with donations to oh so good causes. And tell us that the council vice chair woman knows nothing. Please Denise, move to Canada along with the jobs. But not before you hold another presentation for another pizza joint.
ReplyDeleteMaybe Denise wants the part of Sargent Schultz in a remake of Hogans Heroes.
ReplyDeleteSo what poster #1 is saying is that it is better for the Clemence family to exploit slave and child labor in a communist country while laying off American workers (in a never been union shop)?
ReplyDeleteThat is the classic example of greed. They're only interested in increasing their profits.