Monday, February 6, 2012

Southbridge Town Council Meeting: February 6, 2012

Council chair Nikolla took great pride in announcing that tonight's meeting lasted only 34 minutes. Here is a video of tonight's meeting, focusing on the verbal lovefest among the chair, the vice chair and the town manager.

9 comments:

  1. Darn, you beat me. My copy of the meeting is still encoding.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh? I guess I hadn't noticed.

    ReplyDelete
  3. No problem. A quick look might confuse anyone.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I really think we need full time councilors and we should pay them for their time. The council is supposed to provide policy direction and oversight to the town administration. What we have now is a town manager that tailors information to meet his needs and a town council that is happy with the "heads I win, tails you lose" decision making process.

    ReplyDelete
  5. That's what happens when business is done behind closed doors..The queen doesn't want citizen input so what is the easiest way to do this, short agendas and let the manager do what he wants. Early in early out

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ken its a good thing you decided to stay active with this blog. You bring not just important local issues you also bring national ones to. I remember awhile back when The Greater Southbride Project and United Southbridge Liberty Square wanted to unite a report and inform everyone what happen to them...all talk no action I guess.Thanks Ken for your work

    ReplyDelete
  7. aka Jester

    Obviously, this “Guy” knows what he’s doing. Bringing sweets like these to the table will make anyone thirsty. Cocktales Anyone?

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hey, Anon! I'm still writing at GSP, at least to the extent to which I have time. (My kids and I have been sick for the last month or so, which has led to a bit of radio silence on my end.)

    As for the United Southbridge blog, I dunno. Lots of people were interested in starting it but then nobody seemed to want to actually write for it. Writing well-researched and well-written commentary is a lot more work than people realize. I'm still trucking along, though.

    What I *am* really enthused about is having more than seven months of town council meetings digitized and uploaded to the Internet. It's a very time consuming process, but people all over the country are watching them and I've gotten a lot of good feedback. I'd like to work on an archive of historical meeting videos as well, but I need to work on the format for the site they'd be living on. (The existing archive is already starting to outgrow Wordpress; I might switch to MediaWiki.)

    Anyhow, speaking of all talk and no action, I'd love to have help with my own site. Even if you're not a writer, the information-gathering end of things is something that's incredibly hard to keep up with, since it requires one to physically go to Town Hall. (This is a huge pet peeve of mine. We're 12 years into the 21st century and I still can get onto an email list or something for bulletin board postings?)

    I believe the editorial policy of the other blog is that anyone in town is welcome to contribute an article; it's just that nobody actually has.

    In my experience here in town, it can be devilishly hard to get people to come together and put work into something. A whole lot of people (and I don't mean to single you out, Anon!) are content to stand on the sidelines and complain about how you're Doing It Wrong.

    As for Ken, yes, I too am glad for his work. I really missed this site when he was on hiatus.

    ReplyDelete

All comments subject to moderation. All commenters must use their own name or a screen name. No comments labelled as "Anonymous" will be published. To use your name or a screen name select "Name/URL" from the drop down menu. Insert you name in the "Name" space and leave the "URL" space blank.