TOWN OF SOUTHBRIDGE
SOUTHBRIDGE, MASSACHUSETTS 01550-2638
TOWN COUNCIL MEETING
MACKINNON COUNCIL CHAMBERS
MAY 7, 2012 – Immediately following the Planning & Development Subcommittee Meeting
1. Pledge of Allegiance
2. Roll Call
3. Consider and accept the Council Minutes of Monday, April 23, 2012 Meeting
4. Subcommittee Reports:
(a) General Government
(c) Education and Human Services
(d) Planning and Development
(e) Protection of Persons and Property
5. Chairwoman’s Announcements
6. Town Manager’s Announcements
7. Swearing In / Presentation
a) Presentation: Tasse’s / Alcoma Realty Trust – Jeff Tasse
8. Citizens Forum
9. Vote to ratify Change Order No.4 in the amount of $46,417.00 revised total as requested by Consigli Construction and recommended by Joslin, Lesser & Associates for the Middle/High School Project.
10. Vote to ratify the proposal of GBE Technologies of East Providence, RI in an amount not to exceed $336,540.00 for the installation of Telephony LAN Technology in the new Middle/High School.
11. Vote to amend the Southbridge Zoning map by expanding the Light Industry Zone at the intersection of Pleasant, Walcott and River Streets by re-zoning property currently zoned Two-Family Residential to Light Industry, as recommended by the Southbridge Planning Board. The property is located at 114 Pleasant Street, Assessors’ Map 31, Lot 39.
12. `Vote to amend the Southbridge Zoning map by expanding the General Business Zone along Main Street near the intersection of Main and Marcy Streets by re-zoning two properties currently zoned Two-Family Residential to General Business, as recommended by the Southbridge Planning Board. The properties are 80 Marcy Street and the adjoining parking lot, Assessors’ Map 35, Lots 108 and 109.
13. Vote to submit the following proposed amendment to the Southbridge Zoning Bylaw to the Planning Board/SPGA and request that they receive public comment in compliance with MGL CH40, §5:
Amend §502 of the Southbridge Zoning Bylaws to allow raising and keeping of household chickens:
By Permit from the Board of Health,
In Single Family Zones only,
On Lots of at Least ¾ Acre in Size,
With Chickens Kept at Least 25 Feet from Adjacent Lots,
For a Maximum of Six Adult Hens and a Maximum of Twelve Chickens in Total Per Property,
With Appropriate Housing for Every Season,
Enforced by the Animal Control Officer,
With No Roosters Allowed, and
With Fenced Area for all chickens
14. Vote to recommend that the Planning Board/SPGA hear and consider special permits for up to four property owners of lots under five acres, in single family zones only, to raise and keep household chickens on a trial basis. The Planning Board/SPGA should consider the following when placing conditions on the special permits, but may include additional conditions as needed:
Permitting from the Board of Health,
Space from adjacent lots,
Maximum adult hens and maximum total chickens per property,
Enforcement of the bylaw,
No roosters allowed, and
15. Vote to accept the Layout of Commercial Drive as a public way and to refer to the Planning Board for non-binding recommendation.
16. Councilors Forum
17. Discussion of next meeting date – Monday, May 21, 2012 immediately following 6:30 PM FY2013 Budget Meeting in Council Chambers, Town Hall.